Wellport is the health information exchange used by many medical practices in the Merrimack Valley. It is a new way for clinicians to share your health information quickly, securely, and reliably with other health institutions and clinicians in the community. With Wellport, medical practices and hospitals are connected through a secure and protected computer network. Clinicians expect Wellport to help improve the safety, quality, and efficiency of the health care you receive.
The Wellport Health Information Exchange (HIE) will provide the communication vehicle to improve the quality and efficiency of healthcare for its subscribers and their patients and clients by developing and providing services for managing and exchanging health information in an atmosphere of trust. The HIE will be guided by its Operating Principles which may evolve over time.
The widespread use of the Wellport Health Information Exchange will improve the quality and efficiency of healthcare for all patients in the lower Merrimack Valley and beyond – in an atmosphere of trust.
HIE Operating Principles
- Patients always come first
- Patient privacy, security and confidentiality are paramount
- We dedicate our services to the entire community of medical institutions and patients regardless of affiliations
- Clinical data is not shared for purposes other than treatment, quality measurement and improvement, and public health
- We will not share confidential business data among institutions or physicians unless requested by the contributor of that information
- We will not sell clinical data
- Clinical data sharing for research purposes is done only with Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) Institutional Review Board approval and specific Whittier IPA Board approval
- All committee policy recommendations do not go into effect until approved by the Whittier IPA Board
- Any changes to these principles first must be approved by the Whittier IPA Board